Sunday, January 13, 2008

Jott

When I first came across Jott, I was skeptical of it's claim: "Never forget anything again!" Jott is essentially a phone number that you call from anywhere and leave yourself a message. Jott then transcribes the message, and emails you a reminder at a time you specify. Convenient? Definitely. But is it really that much easier than simply adding a new event in Outlook or Google Calendar. Before trying Jott, I would have answered no to that question. However, after using it for this past week I can say that it truly is an extremely useful tool.

When you call the phone number, it asks you who you want to "Jott". You can set up names and phone numbers on the Jott website, so you can easily send messages to any one. It then asks you what you want to Jott - the message that will be transcribed and sent. After you record the message, it asks if you want a reminder; and if so, when you would like it. This is the real saver feature of the application.

On Monday of last week, I called Jott to set a reminder for myself about a meeting I had later in the week. After that point, the date and time completely left me. Early Thursday morning I received a text message reminding me of the meeting at 15:00. It's great for those busy times when you have so much happening that its easy to forget some things. Last week was one of those times, and without the message from Jott its likely I would have missed the meeting.



You can access all of your transcribed Jotts, edit reminder times, and change how you are alert. It's very simple to use, and you can check off tasks and reminders.

While its not for everyone, I definitely recommend giving Jott a trial run. The price is right - it's free!

No comments: